Sunday, December 27, 2009

Tis the season for baking (pt2)

Christmas day.. I worked.. well, it felt like I worked. I woke up early to finish an order for my Etsy shop - 4 dozen freshly baked cookies, wrapped and to be delivered by noon. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for my cream cheese and butter to get to room temp so I can make a cream cheese frosting for a carrot cake that would be dessert at the family's Christmas dinner. Good thing Christmas lunch was cancelled this year! Actually no, I was rather disappointed there wasnt going to be lunch, but it did give me time to finish my carrot cake.






It took a lot longer than I anticipated, knowing that I only had one 8 inch round when I was going to make 2 to layer them with my cream cheese frosting in between. The batter itself took a while, fresh finely grated carrots, chopped up drained pineapples and loads of chopped up walnuts. I had to double the recipe since all the reviews said I should. It didnt take too long to bake each layer but I had to wait for it to cool down completely before frosting and covering them with walnuts. My husband actually helped me with covering the cake with walnuts, which was really nice. It took all afternoon to finish the cake, just in time to be picked up by the parents to go to the uncle's house. By that time, I was completely pooped.
What a relief to find out that it was delicious and my husband even rated it just about the best carrot cake he's had. Well, next to the carrot cake he remembered having at Just Desserts. The cake itself is very moist, light and a little nutty (tons of walnuts!). I didn't put too much cream cheese frosting, although maybe a little more would have been good. I ran out.
We left the party with only a quarter left to ourselves and I'm now wishing I had more.

No comments:

Post a Comment