Sunday, December 27, 2009

Tis the season for baking (pt1)

So I've been baking away this holiday season but the reason I haven't posted anything is because I keep forgetting to take pictures of my finished products. Sometimes I wish I had a camera hung around my neck at all times like a fobby tourist. (actually not really)

First family Christmas party I made a Raspberry Napoleon. YUMMM! A napoleon is a pastry also called Mille-Feuilles meaning a thousand layers in French. It is made with layers of puff pastry filled with some kind of cream and fruit. I used puff pastry that has been pressed down during the baking process so that the layers are thin and not too airy but still has all that flakyness and crisp. I layered my napoleon with freshly whipped cream flavored with pure vanilla extract and fresh bright red raspberries, super festive! Even the powdered sugar dusted on the top of the napoleon looks like snow... The tartness of the raspberries goes great with the sweet whipped cream and is perfect with the buttery flaky puff pastry making each bite a bit of sweet, tart and crisp. It's a wonderful dessert that is simple enough to put together and it'll look like you got it from an expensive pattisserie. Unfortunately when I made it, I didnt think it would be such a hit that I didnt make a bigger one. Next time, I'd be sure to make a bigger one and maybe flavor the whipped cream with almond or maybe orange blossom.

No comments:

Post a Comment